View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 AM

themastr is on a distinguished road
Default 225 Gallon DIY LED BUILD Tank Shots with New True Violet Modification.

Hello,

So I finally saved enough money and got the approval from the wife to build me a DIY LED Fixture. (took about year and a half) biggrin.gif

Specs of the tank
5ft long X 3 ft wide X 2 ft deep approx 225 gallon
Planning to keep SPS & LPS Or whatever I find in the future LOL
Can mount the lights any height no restrictions
So far I bought 4 used heatsinks from Ebay which measures 20"X14"X1.5"

total heatsink is going to be 40" long X 28 wide X 1.5" height" (industrial grade aluminum heatsink which weights in at 60 lbs) Heavy

So far for LED I need the total amount I will need and will place them this week with www.ledgroupbuy.com
Cree XP-G Cool White - 112 (not sure if I need more)
Cree XP-E Royal Blue - 168 (not sure If I need more)
Cree XP-G Neutral White R3 - 28 (Not sure how many????)
Cree XP-E Blue - 24 (Mainly for moonlights with no optics)
All will have a 60 degree optic unless somebody has a better angle to choose.

I am going to go with TRP Drivers but need help choosing them too. I was looking for dimmable (0-10v)
Was looking at the dimmable 200 watt , 700 mA, 143-285 VDC , model TRC-200S070DT.

http://www.thomasresearchproducts.co...es09-06-10.pdf
Will this work or over kill?

I want 90 X Cool White off 1 driver @ 700ma
1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 driver @ 700ma
1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 Driver @ 700ma
28 NW + 22 CW off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be the 150 W Dimmable)
run all the Blue "(moonlight) off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be 75W Dimmable)

i think that will make sense. ??? anyone want to tell me a better way I'm all for it.

Also I can add a fan on the heatsink if need be, I will post a picture of the heatsink

4 X Aluminum Heat Sink
Approximate Dimensions: 20" x 14" x 1 3/8"
43 Dissipating Heat Fins
Some Holes And Indent For Mounting Components
Used
Normal Wear From Normal Use
2 Fins Are Slightly Bent On End
What Is Pictured Is What You Will Receive

So I will put them 2 inch on center away from each other so from 40" X 28" ( i figured 20 LEDs across by 14 LEDs wide) therefor 20 multiply 14 is 280 LEDS I will randomly place the other 24 blue moonlights somehow and add the NW in somewhere with the CW. I will be dimming with either a PLC or an APEX (have ACIII now but no 0-10v dimming)

not sure how much heat heatsink will take but i thought mass plays a factor and the 4 heatsinks weighs in at 60 lbs and that's aluminum. I will also add a huge low rpm fan on the top to cool abit. Also this will be an open top canopy. floating above the tank

I'm am not a Guru or anything but have good soldering skills and took this along time ago in school. Hope someone can help me out. Also let me know if I need more LEDS, Drivers, etc etc. Researched and never found one this big so this is all new to me.
Thanks again and I will keep you posted
erick

Last edited by themastr; 08-11-2018 at 12:39 AM.