Thread: ich help
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 PM

Simons is on a distinguished road

after 15 years in the hobby, my experience has been once a tank has had ich, it seems to hang around. Most fish will get sick, the strong ones will build up a tolerance or perhaps somewhat of an immunity to it. But every time I add a new fish to my Marine tank, it gets ich, none of the other fish do however.

It seems, from my experience that healthy fish will survive it, but the parasite never seems to go away in my saltwater tank.

I have not had an outbreak in my freshwater tank for years, but then again, I have not added any new fish in years! I would agree though with other comments, to keep the fish healthy I would feed more often and perhaps, a larger amount than normal (as long as they are all eating it). That way it keeps their strength up, there could be a fish or two that will stop eating during the nastiest part of this parasites life cycle those are the ones that are hit and miss. If they were eating well and generally healthy before, they should survive it.

I am done with adding copper of any form, it didn't work for me and all it did was make two of my fish blind and then died weeks after. I just let the cycle run it's coarse and since all my current fish have had it before, I think they are fairly hardy.

AND I just noticed this was a dormant thread...not sure why I responded to it months after..sorry about that.

Last edited by Simons; 04-09-2015 at 08:37 PM.