View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Here's a high profile one from 2010:
http://www.bccla.org/pressreleases/Arkinstall.html

Quote:
The appellants refused to let a team of fire safety inspectors enter their home so long as they insisted on being accompanied by police officers who did not have a warrant. As a result, power to their home was disconnected.
Quote:
D. Summary of Section 8 Analysis

[93] While the impugned inspections in this case are regulatory in nature, they constitute a considerable intrusion into an individual’s reasonable expectation of privacy. While there is a requirement under s. 19.3(1) of the SSA that there be “reasonable grounds” for an inspection, this requirement is not sufficient to render the searches reasonable under s. 8. An administrative warrant is feasible, serves a beneficial function, and should be required. Requiring an administrative warrant in these circumstances protects the individual’s expectation of privacy, and it does so without undermining the public interest in public safety. To obtain an administrative warrant it will be necessary to show that “reasonable grounds” exist to believe that permit conditions, or codes or standards established by regulation, are not being complied with. This Court’s decision in Bichel stands for the narrow proposition that in the regulatory context of a minimally intrusive spot-check search in which a warrant would serve no function, a warrant is not required. Accordingly, Bichel is of limited application on this appeal.
So you can ask for a warrant, but still a PITA because they can get one, and will probably make your life more difficult since you made theirs. Would you hire the happy nice inspector after having to go get a warrant? I had my whole tank inspected when building it in wall.... but I'm sure if you went through any house with a fine tooth comb, even brand new, you could fine something, and would be charged for the inspection either way.