View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road
Default seeking guidance from all the MH users out there

I'm looking for advice and some direction on choosing a metal halide set-up for my tank.

I have only ever used t5's and I have seen my fair share of leds from Vertex to AI. I have obviously never used MH and I am really wanting to try them on my new tank. I just don't know what would be my best options with MH's.

First I'll give some specs on my tank that is being built.

36"L x 24"W x 18"H Rimless

I plan on hanging whatever fixture I go with. I also wouldn't be apposed to building a small floating canopy to hide the reflector and or t5's.

Maybe MH might not be the best option for this tank but I have no idea so I'm hoping that some of you guys might be able to either point me in the right direction or help me move on to other options if MH's just don't suit the tank.
Also as a side note I plan on hanging the lights around 12" from the top of the water if I do go with MH.

Some of my questions are:

* which is the better choice HQI or Mogul?

* what size bulb/ballast? 250W?

* would it be better to try and find a fixture that MH/T5 combo or go with a floating canopy with a single pendant and a couple retro fit T5's?

* besides the buy/sell section (which is mostly flooded with leds) what would be some good places to source all the components or possible fixture?

Lets party like it's 1999