View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 PM

element291 is on a distinguished road
Default Never waste your $$$ on Apex leak detection, make your own!

Simple, skip spending over $100 on the Neptune Advanced Leak Detection Module (ALD and then $45 per probe.

Buy the IO breakout box for $40 which gives you actually 6 ports vs the ALDs measly 4.

Get yourself some cheap speaker wire will even do the job, what I did was use phone cable cause I had a bunch. If you have an ALD already, dont ever spend $45 on the probes... May as well send your cash to my paypal LOL.

What you do is goto dollar store if you dont have any old phone cords laying around, buy yourself the standard 4pin. Watch out for the 6 pin phone cords, no good for this...

So if you already have an ALD, you can buy 4 phone cords for $4. Opposed to 4 probes for $45x4 - again send it to my paypal if you want to throw it away.

Cut the one end off each phone cord, use pins 3 and 4, (only 2 wires usually green and yellow on standard phone cabling) You could stop here and throw some duct tape on the cables and tape them whereever you would have put a probe and bam $1 probes.

What I do, because salt water corrodes the wires pretty bad is to save myself failure I twisted my phone cord around coat hangers, wrapped in tape and then bent the hangers over my tank edge, sump edge, etc for my probes and they last forever so far.

If you have the apex but no leak detection, get youself a cheap IO breakout box for under $50 CDN to your door. Then you have yourself 6 ports to easily screw on any cable you please and you can put this into your code to have that port shut off any pump or ATO, etc you want.

I have one on the top of my tank so if my basement sump pumps up too much water it shuts off the basement pump for a few seconds.
Also one on my fuge, floors, walls, etc.

heres the code,

So under my reactor pump in the event that water leaks under my reactors I have a metal probe wire setup I built for nothing well $1. Then I entered this under my pumps outlet config

Set ON
If Swx6_1 CLOSED Then OFF

Swx6_1 being my first plugin for my probe wires off my apex.

Works like a charm has for months, just figured I would save some people some money if they wanted to spend the time to read :P