Thread: Fat fish
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
What a nice achilles tang. Guess yours is proof that they do not all starve to death. Was he hard to get eating or did he get ich when he came home? I don't want one, don't worry, but success stories are always so encouraging to see. How big is he now? Do they get to the size sohals get?

My sohal is fat, and I think he is too fat, but you tell him that. I have had him over three months and he has grown about 50% since he came home. All my fish grow and eat more then I care to feed. I just read that tangs get mean if they are hungry... so I throw pellets in here and there on top of their feedings. Not a single pellet ever touches the sand and the sohal can pack them in in a second. The nori clip is stripped bare in no time.

I read that the biggest concerns are if the fish are not eating and such. Mine seem to hit the buffet line too much but I don't want any fish hungry and stressed either. I will try to snap a shot of my sohal, he is a whale, much like the achilles. Big fat cheeks, and puffy face.
I wouldn't worry about it. When I was diving in Australia a few years back, so many of the large tangs were much thicker than the average tang you would see in an aquarium. It was kind of two extremes. Some looked on the brink or starvation and the obviously dominant and "fittest" were ridiculously thick. Like the Achilles Tang above (which does not at all look fat to me just nice and thick, healthy). Being in Australia, we didn't see as many tangs as you would in Hawaii but this kind of went for all fish except I noticed a lot of the larger predators like puffers were quite thin.