View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
strawberry snails your tank is smallish you might only need one of these beasts just put it on the rock you want cleaned ,after mine mine cleaned my tank it lived in my sump for a couple years. But there like a bull in a china store lol
Great value for $7.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn. Those are huge snails. I would definitely only need one. I am hesitant about adding snails though. I don't have much luck with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
I've been involved with freshwater ponding for a while and some people there are also having problems with dinoflagellates.
The common theme between fw and sw seems to be aquatic environments where people are trying to micromanage water quality, which usually ends up in an unhealthy and unsustainable aquatic environment.

Our reef keeping hobby is subject to micromanaging by it's nature, so that makes it pretty susceptible to dinoflagellates..

In freshwater ponds, some people are using a copper ionizer which kills off populations of algae. Dinoflagellates increase in population as a result because the main nutrient nitrogen remains.

Local oxidation will temporarily kill off dinos because they are organic, but the long term solution seems to be increasing the diversity of various algae.
I don't feel like I was micromanaging the water quality( I probably was). It is a new tank with only 3 small fish and N&P hit 0 for awhile.

I agree that having more algae helps. I only seem to have hair algae on the rocks and hair algae and some really tough green algae on the glass. It doesn't even scrape off easily. But the algae theory makes sense since making the water "dirty" and increasing algae growth seem to be the most effective way in battling dinos. I got some chaeto from Dash last night. So we will see if that helps things at all.

Right now the sand and glass is dino free and anywhere that gha isn't growing on the rocks is dino free, but there is still some dinos on the gha itself. It's quite annoying.