View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 10:44 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road
Default The ideal sump/refugium

I'm intersted in opinions on what the ideal sump & refugium arrangement would look like to you enthusiests.
I have a remote sump etc in the basement below my display tank upstairs. I'm fortunate with unlimited space down below. I currently have approx 40g in a rubbermaid sump, a 33g refugium c/w L.R. & macro-algae. I have another 33g being put together for mangroves. More to come...?

My main goal; nutrient export. I wish to provide ideal conditions for coral growth while maintaing a heavy bio-load of fish. I've gone with a bare-bottom tank and while I perform water changes regularly, they are for replenishing basic elements, Not chasing increasing nitrate levels that accompany heavy bio-loads.

I'm hessitant to use Miracle-Mud. All refugiums are currently bare bottom. A DSB a good option?

What would you do if ya' had the space? Two key factors though; Keep costs reasonable and low maintainance is always good. (K.I.S.S.)

p.s.
I'm looking for a "light mover" rail system for refugium illumination with one lamp. These are electronic and too cool! Any around town...?

Thanks,