View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 AM

chatyak is on a distinguished road
Default New Member / Skimmer

Hello all. New member here....I'm from Niagara.... always nice to know of more locals in the hobby...

My first post will be a rant and some questions...

1st.... I would encourage everyone never to buy from SWC. The impeller I had on my skimmer broke apart and I had to buy a new one. So I ordered a new end-piece.. the mesh mod that sits on the magnet portion that spins. Well - it's completely different from the old one. The notch inside is smaller and narrow, it has more shapes inside , and the list goes on. I emailed the pictures to the owner saying it does not fit, no matter how hard I try to get it on - also showing the difference in the 2 pieces... it takes almost 2 weeks to get an answer with "it's the same impeller. thanks". Not to mention it cost $20 to ship a little piece of plastic...

Totally unacceptable - especially since I found out he was convicted of illegal animal imports. So I'm done with that shady business forever.

Now on the bright side I am considering the RLSS R6-i skimmer, or the new Skimz VSC SM163 DC Pump for my reef.

I see the skimz is listed at 900 lph while the RLSS is 960 lph. Also the skimz allows you to control the water with a gate valve but the RLSS does not, unless I am mistaken.

Any thoughts on which?

Here is the skimz:

and the RLSS