View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 02:28 AM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the thoughts.

Nate its good to hear from you.

Alot of technical issues have to be thought through right now, including convincing the wife to go with this idea.

With our house right now, this is really the only location that will actually work for any tank. I dont want the weight and potential water damage issues of a large tank on the top floor. I would like to put a large tank in the basement but finishing the basement is still a few years away. When we do a development plan for the basement, a large tank will likely be a major focal point. I have never had a large tank so it would definitely be something I would like to try out.

The two tanks in the art niches would be like having two nano tanks but with the stability of a larger system. I know plumbing them into the basement will cause alot of headache but I think would be the best way to run the two tanks.
Originally I was looking into getting two all in one tank setups like the Innovative Marine Fusion 10 http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aq.../fusion10.html
They would give me the look I was after but with them I am buying two of everything and trying to monitor the chemistry and top off water for the two tanks. Having the sump in the basement will hopefully simplify the operation of both tanks.

These tanks would not be tall narrow tanks, they would be a cube type shape. The measurements would likely be around 16.5" wide 18-20" tall and probably 20" deep. The livestock would be similar to what I have used before, yes I miss out on the most beautiful fish.

I believe I would be using LED lighting to help keep temps in check, the last time I had a tank metal halide was the light of choice and I remember the heat mine put out was crazy.
Typically what is the maximum depth most LED systems light penetrate to? I would assume 24" would be quite dark at the bottom.

Nate Im not quite sure if I understand your idea for plumbing the single pump. I would have a header with a line going to each tank, with ball valves on each plumbing run, but I am confused about the auxiliary line to the possible refugium. Would this be a third line off of the header? The fuge would be in the sump and not a separate tank correct?

You also said to stay away from Pex piping also. Just curious as to why? I already have the crimp tools and running a flexible line would avoid using 90 degree elbows.

Last edited by outtafocus; 12-28-2014 at 02:30 AM.