View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Why would you say poorly executed thermal management?...I find most of the units out there with passive thermal management are more "poorly managed".

I don't find that the unit looks all that bad either. I do suspect that it will be far too pricey, just like it's Vertex counterpart.
Mark - $1099USD Retail. $99 for the WiFi Adapter. Multiple lights can be linked where only one WiFi adapter is required for the cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogFather View Post
I applaud more entrants into the Aquarium LED lighting business but I must say that I am not at all impressed by the Prometheus. Looks like ReefTech are trying to emulate the design principals of the Vertex Illumina (no optics PCB) and functionality (wireless, progressive dimming) but with poorly executed thermal management and an even worse exterior design this fixture leaves a lot of room for improvement IMO.

-TDF
Vertex isn’t the inspiration for these lights? – Pacific Sun is the inspiration for these lights and they have been lighting aquariums with LEDs for many years before Vertex introduced their lighting. I think if you really look at the Vertex illumina, you might find that there is more than one idea borrowed from Pacific Sun. The Pacific Sun lamps have been advocating the ‘no optic’ design for many years.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63818 – Some of the links are dead, but the thread predates the Illumina.

I’d have to agree that the Illumina is an exceptionally well engineered product, but why would others not try to emulate a great product?

With that said, I don’t think these lights have all that much in common. The Vertex lights are all about style while the ReefTech lights are more about PAR (or whatever measure of coral loving light you want to use). If you are looking for a fixture for your living room, than Vertex is probably the way to go, but the ReefTech lights may be a better option if your tank has a canopy or you are replacing a MH pendant. They are certainly more cost effective.

For my tank, the front to back depth is 3 feet. It’s hard to imagine how the Illumina could fully light the tank better than the ReefTech lights. Optics are not really an option as I could never get the spread that I need with them.

Anyway, as I have already pointed out, I have been talking with the owner of ReefTech. What I haven’t mentioned yet is that I have ordered one of these lights for evaluation. Interestingly enough, I also have access to a Vertex 260 fixture, so a side by side comparison might be fun. Let each product shine where it may .

I did get some information back from ReefTech in response to your questions. Rather than sugar coat it, I’ll just post what they said.

Quote:
1) Person who designed ReefTech also designed LED lamp that was wireless almost 18 months before Vertex.

2) Using Wifi or BlueTooth allows for range of capabilities that Vertex is limited to zgb radio – for example with WIFI you can control lights from anywhere where you have internet connection or iPhone.

3) Optics are optional – and you can install 40,60 or 80 degree

4) “poorly executed thermal management” – how can you say that when Vertex drives LED at 2.6W and cannot get the best out of XPG led chips while ReefTech is capable of driving at 3W? Have you noticed the size of thermapads that allow for better heat transfer? Also – the special air duct tunnel that doesn’t allow mixing hot and cold air?

5) Something that Vertex will follow – double layer MPCB boards that allow for better mix and match of LED chips – ReefTech already did that.
- Brad