Thread: Coral pricing
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 04:38 AM

Reyphox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post
As long as hobbyist pays $200 for a five-polyp frag, the price of corals will continue to rise.

So when will this end? Stop creating demand for this overhyped craziness. Wait maybe a year or 2 when nobody buys them anymore.

I remember when Red Diablo came out and they were charging $100+ for barely an inch frag. Same is true with a Red Planet. And guess what a couple of months ago I purchase a huge colony Red Diablo for $40 as this colony just taken over his tank.

I don't have a problem LFS charging X $$$ amount, they need to make money to keep their business afloat. What I don't get is when hobbyist charging for an arm and a leg for a five-polyp frag of a common coral like red planet.

I understand as a hobbyist you invest money to get this so called high-end corals and spent several buckets of salt and electricity to grow it, but dude you already made money for charging an arm and a leg for a couple of inch-2 branched red planet that you call a colony for almost a decade. Please make it affordable for noobs who just starting so that this hobby can continue and be sustainable.

That's my rant for today, I'm out!
How much are people asking for a Red Diablo? Cause most of the prices I have seen are pretty reasonable at $15-20 a frag. A guy just recently sold a whole colony for $50. There are plenty affordable frags the "noobs" can start off with with out breaking the bank. Not to mention a Red Diablo isnt high end. Walt Disney, Fox Flame, Golden Rod Anacroporas. Those are high end. And you bet your ass if I spent $500 dollars to buy a piece, I'd charge you at least $350 for a similar size piece or whatever the hobbyist market price is at that time. Would you go buy a PS4 for $500, play with it for a year and then sell it for $100? No, you wouldn't. You'd sell it for whats its worth at that time.

I get coral envy all the time. There are so many pieces I want and so many I'll never have because it out of my price range. But I still have lots of nice corals I'm happy with. I suggest getting a bunch of common corals and then dish out for a show piece if you can. Thats what I did and I'm happy. Don't let the envy get the best of you.

Last edited by Reyphox; 11-09-2019 at 04:45 AM.