View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 PM

Adrenaline101 is on a distinguished road
Default Adrenaline's Spec V 5 Gallon mini peninsula

I always stare and follow along with everyone's build threads and I completely forgot to properly document a few of my own.

My girl and I recently got into the hobby, her 14G cube was the first to be up and operational and while I was fiddling around and deciding on which tank to use I decided I wanted to try out the challenging world of a pico reef as well as a larger one. Main deciding factor was I wandered into a PetSmart and they happened to have Fluval Spec V's on sale for $80 so why the heck not right?

Setup:
Fluval Spec V 5 Gallon
Hydor Korelia nano 240 GPH
Eggcrate media basket with filter floss, Purigen and Matrix

4lbs live rock ( and 3 small pieces of coral I found under a tree in my yard, weird eh)
5lbs mixed live sand and fine aragonite

3 Hermit Crabs
2 Anemone Crabs
1 Trochus Snail
1 Hector's Goby

So far I just have the stock lighting as I am not sure about adding corals just yet.
Amazingly this little thing holds 79 degrees constantly, I am wondering if it is in part from my laptop's heat vent pointed at it 3" away, either way I am happy to have not needed to squeeze a heater into the back compartment.

My only modifications to the Spec V itself was to silicone over the small water by-pass slot near the bottom of the back wall and I blocked off 2/3 of the bottom of the overflow to create a proper water skimming affect.

Feel free to critique if you have any suggestions/ ideas.