View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM

walloutlet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
If your alk levels are stable (supported by the Kalk), then you probably don't need to be adding Ca separately. Kalk will supply both. When your Alk starts falling, it is usually an indication that you need to increase supply of both Ca/Alk.

You are likely overdosing Ca at the moment.
I was always under the impression that Kalk just maintained Ca (meaning it added small amounts). I finally got my Ca levels to around 430ppm after a month long dosing fight.

Went through and re-read all I could find on Alk/Mg/Ca balances and forgot its not about shooting for a target level, more of finding a balance that all three will support. Hopefully, my memory will serve me better in the future. I think I have it all balanced out pretty good now, since most levels have been stable for a while.

Thread was originally intended to see if the 2 part dosing technique was still practiced and it apparently is by a large number of people. Which is good news because I rather like the chemistry behind the hobby and would rather move to a move DIY (aka tinker) method.

LOL.

Thanks for the input.