View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default berghia

first of all berghia take time to do their job.if your looking for instant success-forget it.in this hobby you have to have patience.for a 50 gal tank you need 6-8 berghia,and you might see a start of the disappearance at 3 months.the good thing about berghia is they eat all the cells of aptasia without leaving anything behind to start new colonies of aptasia.also berghia only eat aptasia unlike other natural control methods.as for fish eating them;i don't think so.nudibranches have a foul taste that fish don't like.i've seen my lunar wrasse try to eat a berghia and immediately spit it out.as for not seeing them;they are nocturnal and can get "sunburnt" under lighting.another mistake people make is spreading the berghia all over the tank.i place my berghia in a shot glass together just before lights out and let them crawl out on their own as a group.they need to find each other in order to reproduce,and it's the babies that really are the aptasia destroyers.they also get into every crevasse,unlike any other control.there is also a myth about currents, flow,and pumps.berghia will go everywhere to get at aptasia,including inside a return pump and survive to the main display with no harm.there is no difference between a high flow or low flow berghia.it is the same berghia with better marketing to squeeze a few extra $ out of your pocket.as for survivability in shipping,it is better that they are at least 5/8"as i have found the smaller ones don't ship well