Thread: Advice on HLLE
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 05:31 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like I have been on the right track with upping the feedings, soaking in garlic/selcon and giving the fish more types of nori and more often.

After reading about the possibility of carbon causing HLLE, I removed all of my carbon from the reactor as a precaution. Even though I've been running carbon for years with no ill effects, I'm willing to give it a try to help speed the recovery of this fish. I'll also be running a very fine felt filter sock for the next few weeks to help remove any residual carbon that may have entered the display tank after changing out the media a few weeks ago.

For those of you feeding broccoli or zucchini, do you cook it to soften it up prior to feeding or just wash it well and toss it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
My king angel gets it, carbon IME has nothing to do with it. I haven't changed out my carbon in almost a year and never noticed it getting worse when I did in the past. I have high nitrates and phosphates so I always though that might have something to do with it.

The one thing I noticed that helped was feeding a bit of nori every day. When I fed the nori every day for over a month I noticed it pretty much completely healed up. Then I cut back to 3-4 times a week. After awhile I ran out of nori and didn't get to the store for awhile and noticed the HLLE not only came back but was worse then before. Now I try to remember to feed nori more often but lately I've been lazy and slacking with my tank so my poor angel still has it.
Thanks for the info Laurie. Did your king angel recover fairly well from its bout of HLLE? I'm worried about permanent scarring on my blueface as the HLLE and associated pits seem to be getting progressively deeper. I'll definitely have my wife start feeding nori every day when I'm away from home at work in order to prevent this from happening again but in the mean time I guess I'll just keep the feedings up and feed extra nori.