View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road
Default Need Lighting Help / Suggestions

I have a 24" Tek light on my 35 gal tank. This is a 4-bulb T5 setup. I've had algae problems pretty much from day one on this tank (tank came with a HA problem from the previous owner). I thought I had it under control a few months in and the tank looked good but while it's not rampant, I'm not winning the war either.

One thing I tried was removing some of the LR I had in the tank in an effort to improve flow. Some of that rock I put into the HOB sump I built.

Now I notice that the rock in the sump is algae free while I still have HA and a few other forms in the display. I also have some kind of algae growing on my korailia's -but pretty much only on the top of the pumps (towards the light). The algae on the koralia's is new in the last few months and is getting worse. I'm thinking I've got a lighting issue.

Ok, so the bulbs I have now were put into service April 7th of last year -so they're ~9 months old. I have:

2 Super actinics
1 Geissmann Midday (6000k)
1 Aquasun (which is supposed to be 12000k but this isn't marked on the bulb)

Theory: I have a bad mix of spectra here (too red) and/or the sprectrum has shifted recently (towards red) or both.

I'm thinking of replacing the bulbs (even though it's a bit early) and need opinions on what mix I should go with. I'm thinking along the lines of 2 actinics and 2 10,000k....

Thoughts ?

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.