View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Maybe I should have linked to the article, so here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

In short though, if you bake the baking soda first, I consider that "recipe #1". If you DON'T bake, that's "recipe #2." The only difference is the alkalinity additive and the end concentration being different thus needing to dose more of the #2 than #1 to maintain the same levels.

I didn't think it was a big deal to bake the baking soda but I find as time goes on that it's losing it's charm. I end up with a large mess on my hands to clean up afterwards, and the mixing has to be done ever so carefully, otherwise I risk the baked baking soda instantly binding into one large piece of virtually undissolvable shelf rock.

I notice a lot of comments in passing from reefers (well Ok, fishytime and Snappy are the only two I can think of for sure, but I'm sure I've heard others) who don't bother baking and therefore that means recipe #2 for them.. and I'm curious how many others as well.

I guess I'll put this out there ... I find the pH reasoning to be a little sketchy at best. I'm betting that for the most part, most people who chose recipe #2 for reasons other than pH, don't have any reason to regret their reasoning anyhow. Ie., I bet if we drill down deep enough there isn't a significant difference, you just dose a little more to compensate and that's that. Maybe it's more significant if you still dose kalk but even if you don't dose kalk it's still probably fine.

But that's something I'm hoping to find out by the responses here. I see the results do show a significant trend towards recipe #2 so I think I may indeed consider switching from #1 to #2 and seeing how I like it...

Thanks all, please continue responding with your thoughts and comments and votes