View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM

CherylMcKay is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Pump and replumbing Sump

I was doing some cleaning and broke my pump. I am frusterated with plumbing the sump and how messy it ends up being.... I have a couple of questions as I need a new pump anyways.

1. It is a 75 Gallon Tank and a 20 Gallon sump. What would be a good pump for this. I will need to order 2 as I don't have a LFS that has salt water products.... so price may play a part.

2. What do you use to plumb in the sump... hose or pvc. I currently had the pump outside the tank and it returned through the UV sterilizer and then back to the tank. At the tank I changed it from hose to PVC as I build my own return into the tank.

3. When returning water to the tank, I have heard that it should be slow through the sump and faster in the tank... How do you get that to work? Is it with smaller pipes out of the sump or how do you regulate the flow.

I have had no ends of problems since I got this sump and started to try and get it running on the tank. I had to drain and recycle the tank as I had to cut a hole in the stand to get the sump in. My tank has been really unstable and I have had multiple plumbing failures on the tank. Any suggestions or good reference material would be awesome as my husband and I are getting quite frusterated with the expense and the failures.