Thread: Which DSLR?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
Okay, I originally purchased the first Canon DSLR years ago. (300D) I thought it is about time to upgrade. I only take hobby pictures, nothing professional. I have a few questions for you gurus.

1) Are my original lenses worth keeping. I see that all the new lenses have IS and possibly other improvements. So should I buy the body with the new lenses or save money and use my old lenses.

2) I was looking at the 70D. Is this a good choice or is their a better one to look at.

3) For macro lenses is it worth spending twce the money for the IS lense (Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM) overtop of the the regular lense (Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro)

4) Best place to purchase the camera and lense. Camera store, bestbuy, future shop, online vendor, etc.

Thanks in advance.
1) I think the new 70d is an entry level to the full frame market so I EFS lens will not work unless the lens you have are EF lens. If you wish to continue using the old lens then you will have to look at the EFS lines.

2) the 70d seems to have some decent reviews. I'm a Canon guy so I will say yes. However, you should look at the Nikon cameras too. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon... Lots of lens option and resalability is better.

3) if you can budget for the IS go for it however the non IS works just as well. You are going to be using a tripod most of the times so the IS feature is not necessary.

4) look around for when Canon has the rebate programs. Most dedicated camera stores can generally tell you this

Good luck with your buy and happy shootn!
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller