View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

So then little miss dumbass (me!!) realises she forgot to make room for the plumbing!!! Oh ya, bottom drilled, not back drilled. ARGH! I then measured the holes in the bottom of the tank, and realise that the 2x4s I used in my framing are totally in the way of where the bulkheads will be. Side note...I strongly dislike anything carpentry related having spent too much time working professionally as a renovation carpenter. Also, I have been hugely frustrated due to lack of tools. So, I toss the ENTIRE stand, and decide to build my own. I made the stand wider to make room for the plumbing, and I bought some (real) oak batten boarding to skin the stand with. It now has the first coat of paint on it in the garage, and I realize I haven't double checked my measurements yet! I hope it all lines up!!!!!!!! I painted the outside with black semi-gloss exterior acrylic paint, and the inside is white gloss exterior acrylic. I will be making a matching canopy for the tank as well.

So, this is what I made using the minimal tools I have here in SK. That being a cordless drill, a chop saw, a circular saw, and a plunge router (with only two bits lol). If I had a router table and a table saw this stand would have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different. Oh, and much nicer. Oh ya, I haven't finished the doors yet, so they aren't on the stand.

The NEW new stand...as it is right now. First coat of paint, so it's really streaky. I framed this one a bit differently, so I took some closeups of the framing for you guys can see how I did it because I stupidly didn't take any build photos for this one. I think I was too choked about having to throw away two stands. I put a post in the middle of the back of the stand so i just used single ply framing, but I wanted to skip the post in the front so I doubled up.

The 2x2 blocks on the front are for the mounting of the doors.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 10-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.