View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 AM

Psyire is on a distinguished road
Default Oxymonacanthus longirostris (Orange Spotted Filefish)

So I've seen this fish in various stores from time to time but never bought one due to having read that they are very hard to keep. Well I couldn't pass up the 2 that were available in a store last week, they both looked quite healthy and active. After doing much more research I was able to get both of them eating pellets on day 2, and now they are really chowing down on them as opposed to just 'picking' for the first few days. I've now had them for 7 days and they are doing very good, stomachs are plump and they are not intimidated in any way by my other fish. I'm hoping I'll be able to ween them onto frozen food, but no luck so far. They also won't eat pellets out of the water column, so I have to put them onto the rocks for them to pick at.

They pretty much spend all day hovering around the rocks and picking on algae and probably small pods too. I didn't know how to sex them at the store so I ended up with 2 males but they seem to be getting along just fine. All in all, so far I'm really happy with these fish.