View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 PM

scsi is on a distinguished road

it's been 4 days since my last entry. I think I'v got the heat problem licked. I used a couple of 2X4's to raise the conopy a bit and temp has stabilized @ 76-78

I'm starting to realize however that there's a tricky balance between PH, KH and CA levels. Right now my CA is a little on the high side @ 450 or even a little more... maybe 460.

PH is also a little on the high side too @ 8.5. Problem is that KH is a little on the low side @ 100.... 105 maybe. I used one dose of Reef Builder Carbonate Alkalinity over a 2 day period to try and raise the KH level slightly, but I don't want to raise the PH anymore. Conversely, if I try to bring the PH, and CA down slightly with a water change, I'm also lowering my KH level. So....

One problem I might be having is trying to establish accurate readings off the Hagen Master test kit I got. Is it just me or is trying to match up the color of your sample with the chart on the back of the booklet almost like trying to read a crystal ball? The colors don't match very well. Is there a product short of spending money on probes that makes it easier to get a reliable reading?