View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have had an Apex running my main reef tank for several years. I am happy with it. There are a few issues (difficulty doing updates, etc) but overall it is good. I have found the customer service to be excellent. Last night I spent an hour and a half getting the update to work, although part of that is I am running Macs and the controller is nowhere near the router and I had some cable problems. So overall this is a great controller but be prepared to put some effort into making it work.

I have have a Reefkeeper lite running my FW plant tank. I am very unhappy with it. The interface is difficult to use. But the worst thing is, during the warranty period, one of the outputs from the power bar stopped working, after a ballast from the cf lights burned out. I contacted Digital Aquatics and they advised me that probably, the failure of the power bar was due to damage from the ballast burning out. Despite the fact that the unit was under warranty, it was not covered. As we all know, cf ballasts burn out every few years and need to be replaced. So whether or not the ballast burning out damaged the controller (if it did, the controller is no good if a burning out ballast is enough to damage it, and if it did not, I deserved free warranty repair), in my view, this controller is not fit for its purpose. If anyone wants a cheap controller let me know.

I tried to save a few bucks by going with the Reefkeeper and I learned my lesson.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge