View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Welcome!

I'll provide some input as a newbie in the marine aquarium world myself. I started a nano (10 gallon) a bit over a year ago.

We passed on a bigger tank when we got interested in marine, and opted to try a 10 instead. It has been a terrific and successful experiment for us. We went in with full awareness that it was trickier than larger systems, and would require a large commitment to maintenance and education. We figured if we could make it work, we wouldn't be afraid to try a larger system (which are unquestionably more expensive, but not more difficult).

Small <> easy. Bigger systems are easier in most ways. Larger water volumes dilute and buffer problems, and give more time to react to all kinds of problems.

Live rock is usually considered necessary. All the other filtration systems are pretty much maintenance pigs. A lightly loaded system with liverock is pretty easy to maintain.

3 fish in an 8 might be too many, unless they are very small species.

I love our nano. I still find new things in there. We've added a 37g cube to our collection, but although it is bigger, brighter, and has inherited most of the corals from our 10, I still spend almost as much time planted in front of the nano. It is so... intimate.

Good luck. I heartily encourage you. But do get some LR, and keep the fish load low. You won't regret it.

Now, I will tell your future: a mushroom, then some xenia. Some powerheads, better lights. Another coral or two. Bigger tank.