View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 05:55 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46er View Post
I think he ment probes which last more than a month.

I think the idea is cool but at 7-900 up front and 500 a year for discs @ the discounted pricing which im sure are both in USD. It's not a realistic purchase for a lot of people where a $50-70 probe that lasts any length of time I'd buy them for sure.
There are commercial probes for exactly this and they last quite a while... but they ain't cheap ($250+) and seawater can cause them issues. I used to have 5 or 6 of them in my lab (we specialized in electrochemistry) and tried them at home a few times with relative success. I believe Pinpoint Monitoring actually makes a somewhat affordable unit and, if I remember correctly, was reviewed by Randy Holmes-Farley in one of the reefing magazines.

The kicker with these units though is that to get accurate measurements they sometimes need to be paired with a pH probe. The potential (i.e. voltage) of an electrode shifts 0.059V per decade (meaning one pH unit, such as if the pH shifts from 7 to 8). Doesn't sound like much but once that error gets factored in, your measurement could swing wildly with pH shifts throughout the day, talk additions, etc.

So, it can be done but it hit always going to be cheap.