View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road
Default The dearth of spirited discussion

Hi all,

It seems like reef forums have been getting very quiet over the past 2 years or so. Not just canreef, but even huge forums like RC. When I first started reading forums there were often lively discussions on any number of topics. It seems like outside of buy and sell most threads are "ID this critter/algae/coral" or newbie questions that have been asked a thousand times.

Where are the raging debates? The new technique? Some game changing gear?

I wonder if the hobby has developed to the point that many previous open questions have been closed, rendering debate moot. For example:

- Plenum/DSB/miracle mud systems are out, and have lost vocal proponents

- LED lights are a proven viable lighting system, leaving the debate of MH vs T5 vs LED to high end sps systems and which light (or combination of lights) bring out the best colour (with enough examples of great looking successful tanks using any combination to prove that any could work).

- siphon drain systems (Herbie or BA) are common. The most spirited debate is whether one should keep the open channel in a Herbie completely dry or run a slight trickle through it.

I'm sure we can think of any number of things that used to inspire heated words that now barely rate a comment.

Is this the new normal? Is there something on the horizon to be the next hotly contested thing? Or am I out to lunch on this whole thing, and things are as lively as they've ever been and it's me that has changed? 😄