View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM

Baker is on a distinguished road

When I started my first tank I didnt know what to expect and i got a full blown breakout in green hair algae. I thought this was typical and just thought that I needed to get the appropriate critters to take care of it. So through talking with people, I soon got a sea hair. He was taking it down little by little. I then got bubble algae, so I got an emerald crab. Well the emerald ate all the bubble and started on the hair. Then I got green turf algae, so I got a Kole tang. By this time the green hair was out and the green turf was in. Keep in mind this whole time I was using ro/di water. It wasnt until I started dosing prodibio bioclean and the odd shot of h2o2 that everything disappeared. My point is, if you not going to start from scratch then these things just have to be dealt with appropriately. Was I frustrated at times and want to shut it down? Hell yea. But after about 7-8 months the tank has no algae and is really starting to appear like a real reef tank. I would just stick it out and deal with the problems as they come. I dealt with all those algae problems for around 4-5 months and now the tank is some thing that basically maintenence free. "Just add water" i do a little more than water changes every 2 weeks. Ive recently starting dosing additives and playing around with that. Im glad I was patient with all the problems. Helped me understand alot more about keeping a reef. Good luck with whatever you choose.