View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie2 View Post
My bio cube (29 g) crashed a little while ago. So I am starting basically from scratch again... Cleaned the tank, put some live sand I bought at the LFS, put some awesome looking live rock from another reefer who had it in its sump for quite a while along with 1/2 the water from his existing tank (pristine water conditions) in order to kick in the biological cycle a little faster, then the other half with new RODI salted water. Put a couple of small power heads for more circulation and then wait a while before I put the fish and left over corals (lps) back in there. Well everything was peachy keen, water parameters excellent and everything looking good after a week. Then, I notice some damn hair algae starting to grow here and there. I have omitted the day lights all week, just left the actinic on for 9 hrs/day. Can't believe it! F#¥@ hair algae! I got a cleaning crew (25 blue leg hermit crabs - little wee ones) and they are working away but the algae is still growing. I scrubbed the rock with a wire brush, but it's still growing.... I performed a couple water changes (15%ea). I also put some Rowa phos & Purigen in the back chamber (middle) right off the bat. Is this going to go away? What else should I do? I am so tempted to just get rid of the rock an
d put some new one in there, but will the same thing happen again? Please advise
what would I do?

I would begin at the beginning.
I would sell off your coral and livestock.
Put some new sand, rock water and wait for the tank to complete its cycle. Take the time to enjoy what starts appearing in your tank. have patience

Wait a month or so after your tank has cycled and add one small fish and some frags. Add another fish one month later.

Resist the urge to go faster otherwise you will likely be plagued with algae and or cyno problems and another crash.
Patience is everything in this hobby. There is no other way