View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 03:18 AM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

Congrats (condolences?) on getting back into reefing.

If you are looking at a dc return pump you cold look at jebao or waveline or some such. Much cheaper that $280ish. I have a speedwave 1320 (I think they are discontinued, but a similar pump) using the second lowest speed on my 30"x24"x24". Seems to work, visitors say its quiet (I still hear it, but barely).

Personally I use tunzes, just the noncontrollable ones: a 6025 and a 6045. Much as I would have liked powerheads that were controllable, it was not in my budget. I can say they are silent, blend in with background more than I thought they would, and seem to get the job done. As for which brand is best, I don't think there is a consensus. The many factors of price, features, reliability, and aesthetics lead people to define "the best" differently.

My tank is a mixed reef, some softies, lps, a few sps, and 2 rbta. Might they be happier with a more varied flow? Maybe/probably, yet they still seem to grow. So I don't think you have to go with ecotechs, but they are nice if you can afford it.

Good luck with your progress, and keep us posted!

- Ian