View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If you're really wanting a cube tank, you may be able to get something smaller like 24 x 24 x 20" tall or something (this is 50 gallons), and use an AI Prime HD to light it (that's a good-quality LED fixture) which are only $249.99. Honestly though, 24" for the Prime is really stretching it. I'd be more inclined to put it over 18 x 18". Even on 18 x 18" you'll get a spotlight look to the tank where the middle has a lot more light than the edges. I actually kinda dig that look, and you can get really creative with using that spotlight to great effect.

If you want to stick with the 75-gallon then you'd want to use (3) AI Prime HD (or a different fixture altogether). There just isn't a way to light a 75-gallon tank with good quality LED for less than about $800. That's a big chunk out of your budget.

For the ATI, for a 75-gallon tank you would probably not need more than 4 bulbs. 6 bulbs would end up being more light than you need for LPS corals. If you were doing an SPS tank I'd suggest 6 bulbs. The ATI fixtures are high-end and provide the corals with more usable light than other fixtures (especially when combined with ATI bulbs), so you can use less bulbs than a cheap fixture.

If I were you I would buy a cheap 5-gallon tank from PetSmart or something and practice drilling it - one hole in each pane. A 5-gallon tank is tough to drill because the glass is very thin and it breaks easily. For this reason, it is great to practice on. I think they are $20 to buy or so. If you can drill a 5-gallon you can EASILY drill a 75-gallon.

I don't like to see the piping which is why I don't like the piping running down the back. I don't care what color the piping is, I just don't want to see it.
I think I am going to stick with the regular 75 gallon tank. I don't feel like the cube tank is worth the extra money for me.

$800 just on lights might be a little much for me.. at least right now. Depends on how the rest of the build goes. Might wait to buy lights last.

For corals I would like some SPS and LPS. So maybe I should go with the 6 bulb version. I don't want to be limited in the corals I can keep like I am now with my 10 gallon.

Buying a 5 gallon and practicing on that is a good idea. Then I can get some confidence for trying it on the big tank.

2 questions

What should I be looking for when buying a stand? For freshwater it's will the stand hold the tank and can the filter fit underneath. I am sure there is more to think about with reef tanks.

What should I be looking for in the external overflows? I am guessing longer is better?