View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 PM
bvlester

by using LR and introducing it in steps it is possible to shorten the cycle When I cycle I also use live sand either from a friends tank or the LFS as they now sell Live sand it costs a tun but worth it if it's new stock the older stuff may have some live stuff in it but I would think that there is not much left. So if you get live sand from a LFS then get new stock.

A nitrate spike at 1.5 week is not uncommon when using live rock you at all should not add any thing to your tank till the full month has gone by. Two months if you can wait that long let the brown algae go through its paces it will grow and grow and one day if you have enough circulation and have done your water changes at the right time it will go away don't fight with it. Green hair algae will grow next don't fight it shorten the light cycle allot and it will not last as long as some people have experienced. The HA you have to pluck as much as you can because when it dies and it releases the phosphates back into the water.

the best thing to do is read as much as you can and ask questions and before you get fish setup a QT very important to have QT and use it.
Bill