View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 03:06 PM

swimfan is on a distinguished road

Not sure if there is a post count or membership timeframe before you can explore the buy/sell adds. I find reefing equipment depreciates quite a bit and there seems to be a lot of good used equipment floating around. Some pieces of equipment might be worth spending more on than others. Depending what your ultimate goals are within the hobby.

Some might disagree, and if they do I hope they post some replies on this thread. Good test kits and a rodi ( reverse osmosis deionize) unit is a must. I've learned the hard way on a lot of this hobby, so hopefully you can learn from some of my mistakes

This hobby/addiction is a money pit. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Initial cost can be a lot, but there is continual cost to operating. Most reefers do water changes, varying in amount of water and time frames. To generalize, it ranges from weekly to monthly and can range from a small percent of total volume alway to large portions each time. That means one needs to replace rodi water, and salt to replace the amount removed. The rodi system has filters as well that have to be replaced periodically, once they're exhausted.

There is a fair amount of basic equipment that is generally required. Some reefers are creative and found ways to get away without some. For the most part you will need a protein skimmer, good lighting for corals, powerheads (water movers), heaters and a return pump if you incorporate a sump. I'm sure you know what a sump is if not, do a Google search on them. A lot or reefers utilize them, myself included. There is a lot of other equipment that a lot of us use I haven't listed, but I feel these are the bare basics. They all plug in, so you will need a lot of plug ins (gfci preferably) and a chair to catch you when you see your next power bill.

I am a firm believer (now) in quarantining/ dipping your livestock, another up front cost, that might save you a lot in the future. There is a lot of posts on this topic here on canreef and other reef forums if your interested

There is a ton of knowledge on canreef, so take advantage of it. Been in this hobby for six years now and still a ton to learn. Love reading tank journals and posts, a lot of intelligent reefers on here, so constantly trying to soak up as much I can. Definitely never stop learning in this hobby