Thread: Blue Ribbon Eel
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 01:48 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Definitely some valid points. In the past I've had pvc running the entire perimeter of the tank with outlets in the two front corners so stretching out wouldn't be an issue. I definitely worry about nutrients though but if it was the only inhabitant and it was fed every 3 days or so like they typically need to be then I think the nutrients could be controlled with regular water changes. The one thing I would worry about though is when it did decide to come out for a swim, how much damage would it do to coral placements and structures in a tank that size.

In regards to eating I've actually had excellent success with them in the past using some really cool methods of tricking them to eat. Only 1 out of 4 that I had wouldn't eat surprisingly.

And yes they start black as juveniles, turn blue as adult males and then turn yellow as mature females. I've had the pleasure of owning one long enough to see the full transformation and is it ever cool.

I definitely think it is a gamble though and you shouldn't gamble when it comes to a beautiful creature like that so I think you guys have talked me out of it. If it had all been brimming positivity then I might have stayed the course but I'd rather not become another negative statistic with this animal since they're hard enough to keep as is.

Thanks for your input everyone.