View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 02:01 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
So canreef has a 3D printer now?! Sweet! Is it complicated converting ideas to real life printed objects?
Electric toothbrushes can be used fully submerged? If so that's a pretty handy idea
Oh yeah shot glasses, but don't forget the vodka for a carbon source of course. Towels for sure! Thankfully someone else does the laundry around here
I think canreef has quite a few 3D printers. It depends on how complicated the model and depending on the geometry, you can convert real life ideas to printed objects fairly easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes300 View Post
Stereolithography is the main issue and I can see why. It uses a very unique form of resin and can definitely contain toxic. I am not sure whether any of the resins are FDA approved.

On the other hand, plastics like ABS and PETG are very common and FDA approved. In fact, they are used in quite a few aquarium components too. Sometimes the colour compounds can release unwanted chemicals so people stick to neutral colours. Alongside, FDM printers have 10+ types of plastics now and the researchers did not mention which plastic they tested.

People have been used ABS printed frag racks, etc. for years without any issue so I don't see anything to be concerned about.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob