View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 AM

spedly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's exactly what I was getting at when I asked how you were calibrating. I'm glad you found the issue.

Also, if your RO/DI isn't perfect, using it for the Hanna Calcium Checker will throw those numbers off too. I recommend using distilled water in the Calcium Checker.
Well I'm at a loss...

After discovering that my salinity was off I have spent the past couple of weeks getting it back up to normal levels. After a water change today, I calibrated my refractometer with the Pinpoint solution and measured the salinity in my tank at 1.025. Not the 1.026 I was hoping for but definitely within reason.

A couple of hours later I went to the grocery store to buy a jug of distilled water then used my Hanna checker to measure calcium and.....381. Hrmph. I feel like I'm back where I'm started. I'm still not seeing calcium levels others are seeing.

There are three variables that might be throwing stuff off:

- Pinpoint solution. Does this stuff expire? It's a couple of years old but was never opened until two weeks ago. Should it be shaken before use?

- Refractometer. Should I compare it at the LFS? Is it "spoiled" since I've only used RO/DI for calibration up to this point?

- Bad batch of salt mix? I'm at the end of the current bucket and will have to open a new bucket next week. Maybe wait and see what I measure from that before taking next steps?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious or maybe just have a bad batch of salt.