View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
Nice improvements Myka. I have alot of trouble taking photos with my Samsung S5 so I dont usually bother any more.

Hey for your component 1+ 2+ 3+ the Alk seems to be sodium bicarbonate rather then Sodium Carbonate according to the dose/dkh rise. Am I right in assuming this? Its another reason I stick with my own mix as I like to use soda ash which ends up being about 1/2 the liquid dose of sodium bicarbonate. If I'm dosing 85mls right now id probably be dosing closer to 170mls of Component 1+ 2+ 3+ and it would end up being very pricey.
Yes, it's bicarb. Component 1+2+3+ is NOT cost effective. It really only makes sense for nano tanks and new tanks where the demand isn't very high yet (like mine). Some people go through the Component 1+2+3+ in like 3 weeks, and by my calculations that's like $1000 a year.

As far as I know, when you buy the AF Calcium, KH Buffer, and Magnesium powders they are just raw materials - the same as most other powder recipes, and nothing special. However, if you're using "raw" materials, you should also be using the Reef Mineral Salt and the Components Strong for all the heavy metal and microelement additions.

Component 1+2+3+ is equal to:

RO/DI, Calcium chloride, Sodium bicarbonate, Magnesium (I'm not sure on the sulfate/chloride mix), Reef Mineral Salt, and Components Strong all mixed together in RO/DI in three handy totes.

SPS fanatic.