View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 03:29 PM

88keys is on a distinguished road

Your dt needs to go fishless for 6-8 weeks so the parasite has no host and will die. There is no safe treatment for the dt. This is the only way to eradicate the parasite in the dt. That being said, ich can come in on inverts and corals as well, so literally nothing can be added during the fallow period. To prevent future introduction of parasites, qt'ing everything is the only preventative....i never qt either so you won't get bashing from me.

Some advise removing the fish and treating them, hyposalinity is the safest method if done correctly. Meds can help treat but often if a fishes immune system is compromised then just catching them and medicating can further stress them out leading to more issues.

I had ich appear on a tang in my old 55g, not another fish had any symptoms nor any death. Tank went on like normal.

I most recently had ich and or velvet and lost both fish within days before I could treat them.

Even treating them in a qt isn't 100%. The healthier the fish the more likely its survival rate.