View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 06:10 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
So maybe fresh isn't the right word. I got the salt mix going two days ago and performed a water change yesterday. Salinity was measured at around 1.025. After the water change I turned off the mixing pump and heater so what I measured today was what was left at the bottom of the container.

I have a Vertex refractometer and ensure it's calibrated before every measurement. Do they have a limited lifespan? This one is about two years old.

You're right though something is weird. I thought that my old Red Sea test kit was garbage because of the low measurements. I've watched and re-watched YouTube videos on how to use the Hanna checker and I think I'm doing it right now. I'll watch it one more time....

I'm a little more concerned now that the Hanna checker is basically confirming things.
would recommend bringing your refractometer to a lfs and just cross check numbers, also get them to test with different test kit that should solve any issues. Also what are you calibrating your refractometer with? Solution or rodi ? I found my hanna calcium test kit super inconsistent so I went back to test kits recently started using Nyos test kits really liking how easy the numbers are to calculate with no color matching .