View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 PM

spedly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If you're getting 353 ppm calcium in freshly mixed Aquaforest salt then I think you're making errors testing or maybe your refractometer isn't calibrated and the specific gravity is a lot lower than you think it is.
So maybe fresh isn't the right word. I got the salt mix going two days ago and performed a water change yesterday. Salinity was measured at around 1.025. After the water change I turned off the mixing pump and heater so what I measured today was what was left at the bottom of the container.

I have a Vertex refractometer and ensure it's calibrated before every measurement. Do they have a limited lifespan? This one is about two years old.

You're right though something is weird. I thought that my old Red Sea test kit was garbage because of the low measurements. I've watched and re-watched YouTube videos on how to use the Hanna checker and I think I'm doing it right now. I'll watch it one more time....

I'm a little more concerned now that the Hanna checker is basically confirming things.