View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Heat could have killed the fish too. Poisoning is also a possibility. Over-dosing meds or additives also. To say 02 deprivation is the only possible source is short-sighted in my view.

I know some tanks are different than others, but the same laws of physics and chemistry apply to all. I have never heard of any reef tank failing due to oxygen deprivation in such a short period of time as the OP surmises. It doesn't make any sense given the vast bulk of evidence indicating otherwise from practical experience by well experienced keepers here and elsewhere.
Why would there be poisoning or over-dosing meds or additives in a power outage??? As things start dying from lack of oxygen, their deaths will obviously create a snowball effect, but it's the lack of oxygen that is the primary cause in power outages in tanks that size, with that many fish, at this time of year (they have the same seasons as us in England). Heat wouldn't have changed that fast in a tank that size at this time of year. Anthony provided evidence of lack of oxygen. I've seen it happen within hours - several examples actually. It's really not that uncommon.

I don't think the "beneficial bacteria" loumaggs talks about would have been any significant contributing factor at only the 1 hour mark as she describes in her video though.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-20-2016 at 12:51 PM.