View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Salifert Potassium test kit review

I've used all sorts of potassium test kits, and they are pretty much all the same - difficult to read. I've used Zeovit, Fauna Marin, and Elos. At best, I figured I could cipher out a "reasonable guess".

This morning I had the great pleasure of trying out the Salifert Potassium kit. YES!!! Now this is a test that I can have confidence in! It does take quite a few steps, and you have to pay attention to which syringe for this and that, and even a 12-24 hour test vial soak in vinegar after each test. I think most people that care to test potassium are more advanced reefers with SPS dominant systems, and can deal with the testing procedure.

That said, I did the testing procedure on my tank 3 times, and got the exact same reading - 420 ppm. It is a titration kit where you count drop-wise until you see a color change, and it's a dramatic color change from white to yellowish to baby blue. It's obvious when it goes to baby blue.

So far I've only used it 3 times, but I'm quite happy with it. I'm going to do a Triton test on my tank soon, and I will be comparing the results to the Salifert kit then.

Who else loves this kit??

SPS fanatic.