View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road
Default Buy/Sell/Trade Rant

Just need to get this off my chest and hopefully I'm allowed to do that here. I have bought, received, and traded lots of stuff with/from members here and they have mostly been amazing experiences meeting new people and getting to know the community more and more. In the short time I've been involved I can truly say it's one of the best groups of people I have ever met. Despite all this the one thing I just can't handle is people who flake on a deal without any notice given to you whatsoever.

As many of you know who have followed my build I have tried to keep things on a budget. Buying lots of used items or finding trades I could do to get the equipment I need. Recently I found out that the 2 100w heaters I have running in redundancy is not powerful to keep temps stable when only 1 is operational which isn't very redundant. I posted it up for sale so I could replace them with 150w heaters. I also needed some biopellets for the reactor I'm restoring and posted a thread on the forum here as well. A member contacted me offering to trade biopellets for one of my heaters. I had already bought pellets from J&L at this point but I could still return it and do the trade, great! Killing two birds with one stone. I asked that ideally trade would be done at my place or at J&L to return the pellets I already bought and since temps would drop if I pulled the heater out and would need to replace it soon after the trade. He told me that it would be best if I could meet him near his work in downtown. I'd have to do some extra work to meet in downtown but not a big deal, we arranged a date and time and I went to J&L to return the pellets and buy a new 150w heater. Came home to hook it up and back to class until we were meeting up. I texted to confirm if we were still good to go and got a reply back saying he forgot to bring the pellets to work this morning. Ok, not a big deal, I ask to arrange to do the trade the next day and he tells me to remind him the next morning. So next morning I did and he says we're still good to meet and out of nowhere asks me if $30 is ok for the pellets. What? I thought we were doing a trade I asked. He replies by saying Oh sorry I went ahead and just bought a heater yesterday so you're welcome to buy my pellets for $30 if you want. Are you serious? After I accommodated to meet at his work place, spent time to go return the pellets, and spent money on a new heater he's flaking out on me without any notice. This is simply unacceptable and totally inconsiderate thing to do to someone. I asked that he pulls through with his commitment to do the trade as I really need the heater gone and need the pellets. Now I have too many heaters and no pellets and he's been ignoring me for couple days and I just needed to rant about it. Looking at the history he seems to be pretty active member with lots of selling and buying. I just hope this isnt something he pulls on someone often. If you're reading this I hope you understand what you did is completely irresponsible. Maybe it's on me for trusting people too much. I just hope something like this doesn't happen to other members as it's seriously frustrating.

End of rant.

Last edited by Etaloche; 03-10-2016 at 08:13 PM.