View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 PM

F.H is on a distinguished road

I quarantine all fish. Regardless of if it's a $300 one or a $20 one.

I used to quarantine all my CUC as well, but I've asked around a lot and generally it's extremely rare to have an ich cyst transfer on the shell of a CUC. The more dangerous part is the possible transfer of any water from an LFS/hobbyist into your system.

For this, I simply make 4 separate (small) containers of display water. One for acclimating, and then the other 3 I just take the Inverts and "rinse" them in the separate containers. With 3 rinses, you can be confident that there's no contaminating water being transferred. Blasting with a baster won't dislodge any [possible] ich cysts. The rinse is more of a preventative of contaminated water transfer.

I used to even give snails/things with shells (hermits/conch) and such a light brush with a soft toothbrush in the beginning when I was more paranoid, but in hindsight I don't think that was quite necessary lol.

In a perfect world, yes, you should QT everything wet for 72 days, but personally, I've tried it and it's a lot of hassle, at least for me. I find the rinsing to be enough to satisfy me, and if an ich cyst were to transfer then the universe really hates you hahaha.