View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 06:15 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

One of those dilemmas. I've learned not to trust any kind of automated shut off, mechanical or otherwise when making RODI. I only make water when I'm home & doofus that I am, I've still had a couple of mini floods overfilling both my fresh & waste water vessels. I collect the waste water to use around the house & in the garden since our water rates are quite high & continue get jacked up by our good officials here in Vernon. Need to make the most of every drop coming down the city pipe. I set the timer on my gas range when I make RODI as a reminder. Nevertheless, several times I've forgotten even that when I decided to go outside & tool around. Now I set the timer on the gas range & my mobile when I go outside!

No way I'd ever plumb a RODI system directly to a sump or display as an ATO solution. I'd be terrified by the thought of that screwing up on me & greggz has already mentioned the TDS creep associated with that kind of set up. I can ill afford any kind of water disaster in my basement since the sewer exits the house only about a foot below the top of the basement concrete. There's no drain in the basement floor, so if something breaks, I'm knackered if I don't catch it in time. Thinking of breaking thru the concrete floor & installing an emergency sump to pump water up to the sewer line in the event of such a calamity. Recently installed a laundry tub with small sump underneath to catch the washer water. The washer used to have to pump about 6-7 feet up to the sewer line through a check valve. There was often residual water in the bottom of the washer after cycle was complete. Works much better now with the sump under the laundry tub doing the work. Anyhow, that little sump won't help if there's a water pipe break down there, the level in the whole basement would have to rise more than a foot before that started filling up & pumping.

All that to say, reiterate, a major mishap in my basement will have dire consequences, so I don't rely on any manner of automated water shut off on my RODI.

Last edited by mike31154; 01-21-2016 at 06:18 PM.