View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 01:05 AM

Fishy! is on a distinguished road
Default Fishy!'s Long and Low 60ish Gallon

Well, on Boxing Day I ordered my Christmas present from my wife, a new custom tank upgrade from a builder about 8 hours away. When in the process of ordering I decided that it would be beneficial to have them build me a frag tank as well, I will add this to the build, even though i have not decided if it will be plumbed into the new system or stand alone(input welcome). We will be making the drive in mid February, which is great. Gives me lots of time to plan and buy what pieces of equipment i will need to get this new beauty running. I picked up a few items on boxing day sales for both of the new tanks, I will be buying little by little as time goes on.

I will be moving over the contents and some equipment from my current 20 gal long mixed reef.

Equipment:

Tank:
Custom built 40"x22"x18" with a 40"x18"x18" Display area
3 sided starfire.
Coast to coast internal overflow.
Drilled for 1" herbie overflow and 2 x 3/4" return
Back Black
Lighting: Will be moving over the 2 Ai Prime fixtures on my current 20l
Due to the depth of this tank, and these lights being rated for a 18x18 footprint i will try with just two lights to start. They are currently only running at 23% on the 20 long. If i feel i need more lighting i will either add another or transfer one to the frag tank and sell one to purchase a t5 or hybrid system.

Filtration:
Sump: This is still up in the air. I have yet to decided if i should build my own sump out of a standard AGA style tank or buy a prebuilt sump. I would appreciate everyone's opinions/experience on this matter.

Return Pump: I have purchased a Jebao DCT 4000 for the return pump.

Skimmer: I am thinking of either a Coralbox DC500 or a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 (Opinions?)

Powerheads: I plan to use 2 x Jebao RW-4 pumps until the new Jebao Gyre rip off comes out, at which point i would like to try that.

Heater: I plan to purchase a neo-therm 200w heater. (Is this big enough??)

Here is the 3D Sketch provided by the builder:

Livestock:

To be transfered from my current 20 long:
1 x Back and White perc
1 x Orange and White perc
2 x Green/Blue Chromis
1 X RBTA hosted and fought over by Black Clown
Multiple inverts including an orange star, pom pom crab, cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails, feather duster.

Mixed corals including:
Multiple Zoas and Play's
Montipora
Pocillopora
Flowerpot
Duncan
Favias
Maze Coral
Multple mushrooms
Multiple Acan corals
Sympodium
Too much to list

Current FTS of 20 Long:

To be added when safe/applicable:
I will of coarse keep adding various corals and inverts as time goes on
1 x White banded possum wrasse
1 x Undecided tang(Kole) or dwarf angel
Possible addition of anthias to replace chromis
My wife has made a caveat that she wants a blue spotted jawfish

Frag tank:

This tank will also be custom built by the same builder as the display. It will be 18"x18"x12"
The details of this tank will be determined by whether or not it is plumbed into the main display. I will be transferring over the frags and light in my current 10gal temporary frag tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/36895...10g-frag-tank/

Drilled:
2 x 1" Bulkhead for strainer overflow
2 x 1/2" Bulkhead retun
3 sides and bottom black

I will likely use the Fluval Sea CP1 pumps for flow. Possibly another RW-4 as money permits.

Here is the 3D Rendering from the builder:

Any and all input or opinions are appreciated for both tanks to help me along in this build process.