View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I think its personal preference really. I have everything from mushrooms to acro in my tank, they call all live together. I have high flow up top where my sps are and lower flow down low for my LPS. I have the lights high enough to keep my sps happy but not so high that my LPS wont come out. This all took time to figure out though.

The biggest challenge with sps dominant tanks are keeping your levels right. SPS unlike your other coral devour calcium, alk and magnesium so you have to replace it. If you have 1 sps, no biggie, have 10 and you'll find your levels can drop in a day or two and this is where dosing comes in. Plus remember the more you add the more you tank needs so if you start a routeen it will change over time as your tank requires more. Softies don't really care because they don't build skeletons but those sps are crazy when it comes to depletion.

Light, flow and nutrients, those are the 3 main factors. I have a big zoa garden beside my hammer coral under my cali tort acro, they can all co exist if they are happy...