View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 02:31 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
I'm debating just hooking up lather batteries to my ups to increase run time. I may also have to install additional fans for cooling to balance out the extra heat on then electronics
Unless you have some knowledge of power supplies, charging systems & various battery types, you may get yourself in trouble trying to modify a UPS unit designed around a certain battery capacity by using a larger or different battery. Basic components of a UPS are power supply, charging circuit, battery, relay & inverter. These components will all be designed to operate safely as a unit & are approved as such. Messing with any one of those blocks opens you up to possible problems & invalidates the original design. The manufacturers don't build a lot of overhead with regard to safety buffers on these units. They need to make money, so they don't use components any larger or with more capacity than is necessary.

You may need to do more than simply add a cooling fan or two. If the wire size for charging the battery or in other parts of the circuit is insufficient for any increase in current flow, a fan isn't going to do much, sooner or later the circuit will cook or catch fire.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-30-2015 at 02:35 AM.