View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 02:54 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

So I have been hitting my head all throughout the day to see whether or not I should get a controller for my tank. Here are my thoughts:

Apex:
Too darn expensive for my taste and for what I will get. A jr costs $305 with which I will need to add another $127 for VDM to be able to control the kessil. Alongside, I will have to buy an ATO separately ($130). So, for light control, temperature control and ATO, I am in $562.

Reefkeeper lite:
A basic unit will cost me $170 and the LED control unit will be $100. The ATO switch will cost me $50 and the expansion unit to connect the ATO will cost $120. So all in, its $440.

Reefangel:
This is probably the only controller that includes all the units that I need (ATO, 1-10v dimming, 8 outlets, etc.) but with the crazy conversion rate right now, the total is coming out to $550. Still a deal when considering Apex but this is too much.

For me, there are two main reasons for looking into a controller:
1. Heater control (the MOST important reason)
2. LED control (a luxury I don't need but why not!)

So I have decided to go to a very elementary approach. Here are the equipment that I will have and how they will be controlled:

1. Skimmer: it is going to be on 24-7 so I will have this connected to an outlet 24-7.
2. Pump in the return compartment: it is going to be on 24-7 too so direct connection to an outlet 24-7.
3. Wavemaker: RW-04 will be connected through a timer outlet; I don't want to rely on the night mode sensor.
4. ATO: I will be getting tunzi nano. Will be around $130 and includes pump. Thought about getting hydor but the 1cm difference between the two probes might not be great for such a small tank. The ATO will be connected to power outlet directly and for 24-7
5. Light: I will get a spectra controller ($130) for the kessil.
6. Heater: Will get a jager 50W and connect it to Jonson Tempeature controller. This is an industrial controller and not hobby grade so much more reliable. And cheap. Around $70.

So with the required controls, I am spending $330. Not getting all the fancy stuffs but I am also leaving more money in my pocket

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob