View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 09:09 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechi View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm really excited to get started and thank you for all the shared information that is posted in this community! I know there's a lot of work ahead of me and I was wondering if I could get any/all advice on some questions I still have.

First off, it sounds like one of the first things I Should be considering is to start curing live/dry rock. I was wondering if anyone could share their online experiences or if it's better to buy at a lfs in Vancouver? Also any thoughts on the type of rock I should consider?
Rock is a very debatable choice in this hobby. Some like fresh live rock, some like dry rock. Some like used rock (dead or live).
Whatever you get, cure them yourself. Don't trust anyone but yourself.
Different types of rock require slightly different methods of curing. It's probably better to open another thread to talk about this topic.

Quote:
Next up, I'm debating on the Innovative Marine 40 gallon tank (@king ed's for $499) or a marineland 60 gallon reef ready cube (@JL aquatics for $400 + $150 for sump tank). I like the simplistic set up of the IM40g (not to mention the glass!) but the space in the 60 gallon just looks soo much more. Still don't know which one to go with... help?!
The bigger the better within your space and budget. Remember with a bigger tank you will need a bigger of everything, bigger skimmer, bigger light, bigger pumps, etc. Also contact concept aquariums on this board. They build quality tanks with reasonable price.

Quote:
The plan was to keep it simple because it's my first reef tank. I was going to go with your typical clowns to start. I think for the most part size wise, there aren't many fish that would be suitable in a 60g over a 40g right? Although at JL, they had a yellow tang in their 60g which I read was a no-no, heh. Anyways, I was going to do anemones and polyps/mushrooms only. I know I'd probably want to do more once the tank is more established so I probably would like to add LPS...
I used to believe some certain fish (tangs in mind) need a certain space to be happy. But debating the same subject with an ex-member of this board made me think...does it really make a different for a fish that used to live in the ocean and now lives in a 4' tank, 6' tank or 10' tank?

Quote:
For lighting, what would my options be? LED lights are awesome but they seem a little expensive. Could I get away with the Aqua Illumination Prime or do I need to fork out and get something a bit more powerful like an Ecotech Radian XR15? Or is it best to go with those new Hydra LED's?

I can't wait to get started on building my aquarium.
Thanks!
I will leave the LED thing to others here. I am still using metal halides and don't plan to switch any time soon. LOL.